Thursday, November 24, 2011

Why does the Devanagari script and Bengali script has horizontal bar on top?What's it used for?

The horizontal bar on top of Bangla (Bengali) script is called "matra" and we have been using it without ever questioning anyone since I thought this matra is used to keep the letters under one straight line, not to veer away from the same horizontal axis.





To me the matra is used for keeping my handwriting as horizontally straight and also to connect the letters to form a distinct word. I know this may not be the reason why matra is there in the first place, but to me it appears the only explanation.





I am not sure if I have helped.|||just part of the script...no special reason...some letters are distinguished between with or without bars|||There is no specific meaning....

No comments:

Post a Comment